It’s that time of year again to order rhizomes! Whether you’re a homebrewer, herbalist, or just want a beautiful addition to your garden, consider planting hops this year!
Sicilianos Market is now taking orders for hops rhizomes, $5 each. Order by Sunday, February 28 via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), by phone (616-453-9674) or in person at Siciliano’s. When ordering by email please ensure that you indicate the desired quantity of the specified variety. Price per each rootstock is $5.00 and payment will not be due until the time of pickup (early to mid April).
- Cascade: 4.5-7.0% alpha. Grows well in all climates. Susceptible to aphid.
- Centennial: 9.5 -11.5% alpha. Grows well in all climates. Susceptible to downy mildew.
- Chinook: 11.0-13.0% alpha. Grows well in dry, hot climates. Does not grow well in moist climates. Subject to spider mite. Great ornamental hop.
- Columbus: 14.5-15.5% alpha. Grows well in dry hot climates. Vigorous but susceptible to mildew diseases.
- Golding: 4.0-5.0% alpha. Grows well in mild, moist climates. Does okay in hot climates.
- Liberty: 3.0-5.0% alpha. Mild and spicy with subtle lemon and citrus characteristics. Grows well in mild, moist climates.
- Mt. Hood: 4-5% alpha. Hybrid of a Hallertau. Grows well in all climates.
- Northern Brewer: 8.0-10.0% alpha. Adequate in temperate climates but has difficulty growing when under heat stress. Susceptible to downy mildew.
- Nugget: 12.0-14.0% alpha. Grows well in all climates.
- Sterling: 6-8% alpha. Hybrid of Saaz. Grows wells in all climates.
- Tettnang: 4.0-5.0% alpha. Grows well in a moderate climate. Suffers a little in hot climates.*
- Willamette: 4.0-6.0% alpha. Grows well in all climates.
They’re fairly easy to grow (speaking from experience). Plant by the end of May and they will grow like a weed. Harvest in late August or September. They don’t need constant watering. For more growing info, check out these websites:
and soon your yard will look like this: